Duration: ½ day
Purpose and aim of course
This course allows learners to gain a better understanding of the purpose, reasons and effective implementation of a disciplinary procedure as part of a performance management system. It reviews the consequences of a badly handled disciplinary process together with the relevant legal requirements.
This unit is suitable for persons who:
- have been recently promoted to a managerial position and manage individuals,
- wish to develop their skills and knowledge in managing poor performance,
- wish to develop their knowledge of the legal framework that relates to a disciplinary,
- want to be able to handle disciplinary hearings effectively.
On completion of this course, learners will:
- be able to understand the purpose of a disciplinary procedure,
- obtain an overview of employment law as it affects disciplinary situations,
- understand how to prepare and conduct a disciplinary interview,
- be able to handle aggressive and/or emotional employees at a disciplinary interview.
Learners will receive all necessary material for this course including copies of presentation slides and exercises used in class.
This course is a stand-alone course and does not require any previous knowledge. However, it would be desirable for learners to either be or have held positions in management or HR.